ParlAmericas supports parliamentary climate action through innovative programs, dialogues, and partnerships designed for parliamentarians of the Americas and the Caribbean to promote the highest political commitments for advancing legislative work on climate change mitigation and adaptation in the hemisphere.
As part of our climate change program, we provide parliamentarians with knowledge resources informed by evidence-based research on climate change and field-based, context-driven learning. Learn More
Parliamentary Network on Climate Change
ParlAmericas serves as the international secretariat for the Parliamentary Network on Climate Change (PNCC). This is a joint initiative with Parlatino formally integrated into the ParlAmericas structure during the 13th ParlAmericas Plenary Assembly in Mexico City, in December 2016. Learn more
Parliamentary Action on Disaster Risk Reduction and Adaptation
ParlAmericas’ Climate Change Program is working in cooperation with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) to develop a new Parliamentary Protocol for Disaster Risk Reduction for Latin America and the Caribbean. The Protocol will serve as a guide for national parliaments in the hemisphere to align disaster risk reduction legislation with the Sendai Framework, and promote an integrated approach that combines disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, and sustainable development.
OUR LATEST PUBLICATIONS
|A Comparative Overview of Legislative
and Executive Responses in the Americas
|A Comparative Overview of the
Rights Based Approach in the Americas
Nationally Determined Contributions Summary Cards for Parliamentarians: These summary cards provide a quick overview of the main commitments adopted by the governments of the Americas and the Caribbean in the COP21 Paris Agreement. These are living documents that will be periodically updated as different countries report on their progress and new priorities, and with a unique legislative section illustrating best practices or actions by parliaments in the region.
|Welcoming Speech||Photo Gallery|
SOCIAL MEDIA: #ParlAmericasCC
- Bangkok climate talks: key outcomes on the Paris Agreement ‘rulebook’, CarbonBrief: Clear on Climate (2018)
- Benefits of Climate Action: Piloting a Global Approach to Measurement, C40 Cities (2016)
- Loss and Damage: Online Guide, UNFCCC (2017)
- Primer on the United Nations Climate Change Regime, ParlAmericas (2018)
- Primer on Carbon Pricing, ParlAmericas (2017)
- Nationally Determined Contributions Summary Cards for Parliamentarians, ParlAmericas (2017)
- Assessing the impact of disasters: current scenarios and trends in the Americas. Raul Salazar, Chief of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) Secretariat for the Americas.
- Carbon Pricing in the Americas and the Caribbean. Alexis L. Leroy, CEO, Allcot Group (greenhouse gas emissions management expert).
- Carbon Pricing: A Parliamentarian Perspective. The Honourable Jennifer Simons, Vice president – The South American Parliamentary Network on Climate Change and Speaker of the National Assembly, Suriname.
- Paris Agreement and NDCs. Carlos Garvia, Regional Coordinator, Regional Center of Collaboration, Latin America and Caribbean, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Subnational climate change adaptation and mitigation: challenges and opportunities for urban settlements. Gian Carlo Delgado Ramos, Member of the Working Group II, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Mexico.
- Sustaining the fabric of life. Nidya Pesántez, Program specialist, UN Women Ecuador.
SOCIAL MEDIA: #ParlAmericasCC #Switch2Sendai
- Conceptual Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction and Adaptation to Climate Change, Pilar Moraga Sariego, Centre of Climate Science and Resilience and University of Chile Centre for Environmental Law
- Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, Raúl Salazar, United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) Regional Office for the Americas
- Dialogue on Disaster Risk Reduction, Alma Pérez, UN Women Regional Office for the Americas and the Caribbean
- The Disaster Risk Reduction Agenda and the Nationally Determined Commitments under the Paris Agreement, Cayetano Casado, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and NDC Partnership
- A Look at the Local Frontline, María Verónica Bastías, Global Network of Civil Society Organizations for Disaster Reduction (GNDR)
- Chart of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. UNISDR
- Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. United Nations
- UN Women in Crisis and Emergency Contexts in Latin America and the Caribbean. UN Women, 2017
- Country Disaster Risk Profiles, World Bank Group
To learn more about the Climate Change program activities, please visit Our Work
ParlAmericas is an Observer Organization to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change