ParlAmericas supports parliamentary climate action through innovative programs, dialogues, and partnerships designed for parliamentarians of the Americas and the Caribbean to promote the highest political commitments for advancing legislative work on climate change mitigation and adaptation in the hemisphere.
As part of our climate change program, we provide parliamentarians with knowledge resources informed by evidence-based research on climate change and field-based, context-driven learning. We create the spaces to establish direct dialogue with peers, local and international experts, and key stakeholders to advance the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), the Sustainable Development Agenda and the adoption of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction in Latin America and the Caribbean. Learn More
Parliamentary Network on Climate Change
The ParlAmericas Parliamentary Network on Climate Change (PNCC) was created in 2016 with the objective of promoting parliamentary diplomacy on climate action within parliaments, aligned with existing international frameworks that work towards combating climate change and achieving sustainable development. The PNCC fosters knowledge exchanges between parliamentarians, expert practitioners, civil society and other stakeholders on effective practices for climate change mitigation and adaptation through workshops, dialogues and the creation of specialized resources. Learn more
Parliamentary Action on Disaster Risk Reduction and Adaptation
ParlAmericas’ Climate Change Program developed in cooperation with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) a Parliamentary Protocol for Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation for the Americas and the Caribbean. The Protocol serves as a guide for national parliaments in the hemisphere to align disaster risk reduction legislation with the Sendai Framework, and promote an integrated approach that combines disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, and sustainable development.
OUR LATEST PUBLICATIONS
|Parliament's Role in Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals||Parliamentary Protocol for Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation|
Nationally Determined Contributions Summary Cards for Parliamentarians: These summary cards provide a quick overview of the main commitments adopted by the governments of the Americas and the Caribbean in the COP21 Paris Agreement. These are living documents that will be periodically updated as different countries report on their progress and new priorities, and with a unique legislative section illustrating best practices or actions by parliaments in the region.
RECORDING OF THE MEETING (YouTube) (in Spanish and English)
SOCIAL MEDIA: #COVID19 #ParlAmericasCC
- The Merits of a Clean COVID-19 Recovery. Brian O'Callaghan, University of Oxford.
- Disaster risk management for a better and sustainable reconstruction. Raúl Salazar, UNDRR. (in Spanish)
- Perspectives for the post-COVID-19 reactivation in Latin America and the Caribbean. Leo Heileman, UNEP. (in Spanish)
- The post COVID-19 recovery: How to articulate integrated responses to the health, economic and climate crises in Latin America and the Caribbean. UNEP, 2020.
- Preventing the next pandemic: Zoonotic diseases and how to break the chain of transmission. UNEP, ILRI, and CGIAR, 2020.
- Support program for the post-COVID19 economic recovery aligned with the Paris Agreement. UNEP and EuroClima+, 2020. (In Spanish)
- Will COVID-19 fiscal recovery packages accelerate or retard progress on climate change? Oxford Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, 2020.
- Brief guide to contribute to the reconstruction and 'green' recovery post the COVID-19 crisis in Spain. Oxford Smith School of Enterprise and IIDMA, 2020. (In Spanish)
- Planning for the economic recovery from COVID-19: A sustainability checklist for policymakers. World Bank, 2020.
- A government roadmap for addressing the climate and post COVID-19 economic crises. Climate Action Tracker, 2020.
- Sustainable Recovery. International Energy Agency, 2020.
- Inclusion and social cohesion in the framework of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: keys to inclusive social development in Latin America. ECLAC, 2020. (In Spanish)
- Virtual Dialogue of the Americas and the Caribbean against the COVID-19 Pandemic: Towards Integrated Management in Disaster Risk Reduction. UNDRR, 2020. (In Spanish)
To learn more about the Climate Change program activities, please visit Our Work
Readings of interest
ParlAmericas is an Observer Organization to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change