ParlAmericas supports parliamentary climate action through innovative programs, dialogues, and partnerships designed for parliamentarians of the Americas and the Caribbean to promote the highest political commitments for advancing legislative work on climate change mitigation and adaptation in the hemisphere.
As part of our climate change program, we provide parliamentarians with knowledge resources informed by evidence-based research on climate change and field-based, context-driven learning. We create the spaces to establish direct dialogue with peers, local and international experts, and key stakeholders to advance the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), the Sustainable Development Agenda and the adoption of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction in Latin America and the Caribbean. Learn More
Parliamentary Network on Climate Change
The ParlAmericas Parliamentary Network on Climate Change (PNCC) was created in 2016 with the objective of promoting parliamentary diplomacy on climate action within parliaments, aligned with existing international frameworks that work towards combating climate change and achieving sustainable development. The PNCC fosters knowledge exchanges between parliamentarians, expert practitioners, civil society and other stakeholders on effective practices for climate change mitigation and adaptation through workshops, dialogues and the creation of specialized resources. Learn more
Aligning Parliamentary Action to International Frameworks
ParlAmericas promotes the coordination and alignment of parliamentary actions on the environment with existing international frameworks to promote synergy between global and national objectives. ParlAmericas works to build understanding and support the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Nationally Determined Contributions under the Paris Agreement, and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, which offer valuable guidance to parliamentarians for decision making that integrates social, economic, and environmental factors, to shape more sustainable, resilient and equitable societies.
December 4 | Dubai, United Arab Emirates
ParlAmericas side event and networking space
December 4 | Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The Escazú Agreement and ACE: Strengthening environmental democracy in Latin America and the Caribbean
December 5 | Dubai, United Arab Emirates
COP28: Latin American legislative perspectives for effective and inclusive climate action
Key resources for parliaments
- Parliaments and the Paris Agreement. ParlAmericas, GLOBE, INTER PARES, and WFD, 2021.
- Environment and Sustainability: Mapping the Strategies and Plans in the Americas and the Caribbean
- Parliamentary declaration adopted at the 6th Gathering of the Parliamentary Network on Climate Change titled “Realizing our green future: The road to low emissions.”
- Parliamentary declaration adopted at the 7th Gathering of the Parliamentary Network on Climate Change and 5th Gathering of the Parliamentary Network for Gender Equality titled “A food secure future: Building people and planet-centred strategies.”
Recent reports on the state of climate change
- The Adaptation Gap Report 2023: Underfinanced. Underprepared – Inadequate investment and planning on climate adaptation leaves world exposed. UNEP, 2023.
- Emissions Gap Report 2023: Broken Record – Temperatures hit new highs, yet world fails to cut emissions (again). UNEP, 2023.
- The State of the Climate in Latin America & the Caribbean 2022. WMO, 2023.
- Tripling renewable power and doubling energy efficiency by 2030: Crucial steps towards 1.5°C. IRENA, COP28 Presidency, and GRA, 2023.
- Technical dialogue of the first global stocktake. Synthesis report. UNFCCC, 2023.
- The Synthesis Report of the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report: Climate Change 2023. IPCC, 2023.
- Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Working Group II Contribution to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report. IPCC, 2022.
- Climate Change 2022: Mitigation of Climate Change. Working Group III Contribution to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report. IPCC, 2022.